Sunday, October 18

Work. Is. Hard. Soooooo HARD.

It wouldn't be so bad if the team was bigger and there was more time for the greenhorn to be eased in gently into the madness of it all. Being made to jump through hoops while juggling 5 balls and taming lions all on your everyday is abit too much to handle, right? Coz it feels like that sometimes.

Sometimes I wonder how life would have turned out if I had just accepted a lab position - pushing buttons, prepping assays and being chased for results. Not that I'm turning my nose up at it, but it sure beats chasing people for reports, convincing thick headed people to see things your way and seeing no end in sight for that mountain of work that keeps getting added to in the meanwhile.

I think it also matters that my first "real" job was a walk in the park. Other than actual sample testing, I had no other tasks at all. Which meant I was often times just sitting on my bum for large parts of the shift. When you get such a laid back introduction to the working world, it kinda skews everything else that comes after it.

It was a tough choice I faced back then, having to decide between 2 very different things. On one hand, I had the choice to stay in the same place/go elsewhere while doing essentially the same thing. On the other, I had the chance to explore something new, expand my knowledge of the industry and get really stuck into the thick of things.

I knew why I took this job over the others. It wasn't about the money or the location or the hours. It was for the exposure I was sure I would get in this role. I'm getting every bit that I imagined I would and then some. Some days I feel like I'm struggling to stay afloat and others, I feel like I got this down pat.

Guess time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment